Making walking, biking, and transit the preferred option here
- Develop Washington and Rural Streets as destination streets by providing more generous sidewalks, slowing cars, and reducing sound pollution.
- Convert one-way streets to two-way near commercial nodes.
- Make upgrades assets to the #8 Line, to act more like the Future Blue Line.
- Connect to existing and proposed bicycle routes, particularly along Rural Street.
- Replace and repair deteriorated neighborhood streets and sidewalks (Oakland, Gray, etc.)
Provide public spaces that are unique, lively, and authentic
- Prioritize uniqueness and creativity (Community Garden and Commonwealth rooftop).
- Use creative methods to display the history of the neighborhood, such as using patents developed at PR Mallory as branding and public art.
- Use socially-engaging art projects as part of redevelopment projects.
- Redevelop unique buildings and focus on iconic features like the PR Mallory smokestack.
- Create outdoor gathering places that encourage longer stays by more people near Tlaolli and Pia Urban Market and Cafe, Artie’s on the Go, and the future PR Mallory Quad.
- Develop spaces that appeal to all-ages and ethnicities.
- Continue to help neighbors take the lead on the neighborhood vision to maintain ownership.
- Hold social and volunteer gatherings, such as Better Blocks, Block Parties, Community Meals, etc.
Expand existing and develop new recreation opportunities
- Expand participation in the existing rooftop hockey league.
- Increase participation in the East Side Striders running club
- Expand the use of the Commonwealth gym for basketball, volleyball, etc…
- Provide passive recreation for seniors, such as measured walking loops, bocce, etc…
Provide crime prevention education and safety efforts
- Develop a safety team to focus (initially) on commercial locations within the study area.
- Move the area between Washington Street and the rail line into IMPD’s East District.
- Utilize a data-driven approach for safety with a 6-month recurring update process for data with IMPD and others.
- Increase education on crime prevention to neighbors.
- Educate about the difference between “crime” and “danger”.
Create opportunities to improve public health and sustainability
- Provide healthy food by developing a farmer’s market at the proposed PR Mallory Quad space.
- Increase access to quality local health care by providing a community health facility in walking distance.
- Promote healthy and sustainable models for restaurants (such as Tlaolli, Pia Urban Market and Cafe, and Artie’s on the Go).
- Promote clean and sustainable energy production and use by residents/businesses.
Back to Great Places 2020